Is your resolution for the New Year to be more involved in your community?
The Community Volunteer Force is suggesting 13 ways to get it done:
- Opening Minds through Art: We are looking for volunteers interested in facilitating art projects with elders with dementia. No art skills are needed-just patience and a willingness to form a friendship. We have two facilities with openings: Cedar Village in Mason (Thursday mornings 9:30am-11:30am) and Berkeley Square in Hamilton (Monday mornings 10:30am-12pm). A short training is provided. Contact Elizabeth Rohrbaugh @email@example.com with interest or questions.
- Shared Harvest Food Bank: We are appreciative of your service in 2014 and we are looking forward to seeing you again next year. We are trying to plan as far in advance as possible so we have now begun scheduling activities throughout 2015. If your group is interested in volunteering with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can get it scheduled. Groups that stop by quarterly, some monthly, or annually are all welcome and appreciated. If you are an individual interested in participating in our activities, please email email@example.com with your contact information. You will begin to receive emails about our volunteer meet-ups.
- LifeSpan: Do you have a friendly personality and are service-driven? Are you looking for a volunteer opportunity in a fun and fast-moving agency where you can make an impression? If you answered yes, you have found your match. LifeSpan is looking for an energetic and outgoing volunteer to serve as receptionist in our Middletown office. This is a routine weekly Friday afternoon position working from 1-5 pm. You will greet visitors and answer phone calls; training provided. Please give us a call if this is something you could do. Visit our website to find out what all we do: http://www.lifespanohio.org. Contact Teka Reinhold, Volunteer Coordinator, 513-785-4186 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Partners in Prime: Become a Brain Fitness Leader at the West Chester Activity Center every Thursday, 9:30-10:15am. Lead members in a series of fun brain games. OR help Meals On Wheels take client phone calls at the Hamilton Club, every Thursday, 9:30-10:30am. Check in on certain of our Meals on Wheels Clients by phone. OR become a Lunch Server at the West Chester Activity Center – every Monday and/or Wednesday, 10am-1pm. OR become a Meals on Wheels Delivery Drivers. Morgan Twp. every Thursday, 9:30-Noon; New Miami every Monday and/or Friday, 9:30-11am; HA Long & Belle Tower on Monday, Tuesday and/or Thursday, 9:30-11am. Dianne McEachen 513-737-5752 email@example.com.
- Caring Partners International: Medical Volunteer Opportunities for January are 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Jan. 13 and 17, and 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 22. If you are not able to volunteer for the entire time, please feel free to come for as long as you can. The temperature in the warehouse is usually around 60 – 65 degrees so please dress in layers for your comfort. If you can participate on any/all of these days call Jim at CPI 937-743-2744 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PARACHUTE: Butler County CASA: Want to speak up for an abused child? For details about becoming a volunteer at PARACHUTE: Butler County CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) go to http://www.parachutecasa.org or 513 867-5010.
- MetroParks of Butler County: MetroParks needs your help as we begin a new year of exciting programming and park improvements. Volunteers are needed to help with with craft making, games, hike, animals, building shelter and fires, camping for children’s programs, or filling up bird feeders and observing birds. Contract Cris by email at email@example.com or 513.867.5835
- Senior Independence Hospice: Senior Independence Hospice volunteers support our patients and their families in a variety of ways: companionship, spiritual support, bereavement support, music/art therapy, pet therapy, photography/videography, life review, share interests/talents, vigil volunteer, respite visits, etc. Flexible schedules. Age 16 and up. Contact Kate Moore, Volunteer Coordinator at KAMoore@seniorindependence.org or 513-509-2748.
- Supports To Encourage Low Income Families: SELF is looking for a few good men and women who would like to join our Resource Development Committee. The committee will start planning SELF’s “Night at the Derby” Kentucky Derby themed Annual Awards Dinner and Auction that will be held on Friday, April 17. We are looking for some creative ideas for the Derby games and décor, as well as help with securing auction items. We are also looking for donations of auction baskets – so if you received some holiday gifts that aren’t quite you – please re-gift to SELF for our auction! Or if you’d like to buy items and put together a basket, we can give you ideas! We need volunteers who like to fundraise and “friend-raise” or who are willing to learn how. Meetings are held at SELF’s Hamilton office (Hamilton Crossing Shopping Center, 1790 S. Erie Highway, Suite A-C) on the Second Thursday of each month from 12-1pm and the next scheduled meetings will be January 8, February 12 and March 12. Beth Race 513-820-5009 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Animal Friends Humane Society: Animal lovers needed for walks and cuddles! The Animal Friends Humane Society is looking for caring individuals 16yrs+ who would like to spend a few hours a week playing with and caring for our shelter animals. There is no set schedule required and volunteers can come anytime during open shelter hours, (M,T,F,Sa,Su 11 am to 4:30 pm & W, Th 1 pm-7 pm). All of our volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation before they can begin. Please visit our website to find our volunteer orientation dates. www.animalfriendshs.org. Contact Theresa Zarobell Outreach Coordinator 513-887 3530 (direct) email@example.com 513-867-5727(main) www.animalfriendshs.org.
- City of Hamilton: IceFest is January 16th and 17th. We are looking for volunteers for a variety of opportunities. Thousands of visitors will enjoy the Technicolor Ice Walk on Friday, the Competition Carving on Saturday and even Human Dog Sled Races on Courthouse Square. This year’s theme is Hamilton Goes Hollywood – Come to Hamilton, See the World in ICE! Karen Wittmer at 844-8050 for more details or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Raphael: The following opportunities are available from 11am-2pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday or as often as you can. Pantry Volunteers Assistance with donation pick-upsl Lunch Window passing out lunch bags between 12pm-2pm; Client Intake-data entry. Clinic Support Volunteers needed. Pick your day!! Opportunities include: Faxing, filing, general clerical duties, follow-up phone calls and referrals, verifying client eligibility for assistance with medication costs, assisting patients with pharmacy applications, front desk support during clinic, and checking in patients for their appointments. Contact B. Gail Emmons, Volunteer Coordinator, St. Raphael, 610 High Street, Hamilton 513-981-4211 BGEmmons@health-partners.org, or Mollie Young, manager of Volunteer Services, at 513-867-2281. http://www.ketteringhealth.org/forthamilton to apply on line.CONTACT: Mollie Young, manager of Volunteer Services, at 513-867-2281. http://www.ketteringhealth.org/forthamilton to apply on line.
- Cedar Village Retirement Community: We are currently seeking volunteers for Cedar Village Hospice program. Volunteers are a vital and valued part of our Hospice Team. Volunteers are needed to visit with residents, engage them in conversation, share special talents or skills and offer comfort and emotional support to the patients and their families. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. Commit to a minimum of 2 – 4 hours per week of service. Volunteers will participate in a volunteer orientation program specifically designed for Hospice Volunteers. If you have recently experienced a loss of a loved one we ask that you wait 12 months before applying to be a Hospice Volunteer. For further information please contact Diane Slovin (email@example.com) or 513-336-3162.
Check for volunteer updates at Facebook.com/communityvoulunteerforce
If you have questions or comments contact Dan Schlosser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo: Kashmin D. from Fairfield Senior High School working with her artist Margaret.