Tag Archives: Hamilton Parks Conservancy

‘An Attractive Park on Hamilton’s River Front is Now Being Planned’

Hamilton Parks Conservancy

As we prepare to break ground on Marcum Park this spring, an article from the Hamilton Evening Journal from February 1, 1916 reminds us that our city has long had the yearning for a garden spot on the river.

As the article notes, the plans for this park included a bandstand just a block or so away from where our RiversEdge Amphitheater now draws thousands of citizens for concerts and programs.

Plans for this proposed park were short-lived, however, as the site would be excavated for the widening of the river channel, and at a meeting two days later, Miami Conservancy Engineer Arthur Morgan put the kibosh on it.

Below the clipping of the map is the complete text of the article and a description of the imagined park.

Hamilton Evening Journal February 1, 1916
Hamilton Evening Journal
February 1, 1916

J.E. Freudenberger, landscape architect of Dayton, has just completed an elaborate plan for a park system in Hamilton, which was submitted during the last week to the commission in the Butler County capital, named for the purpose of preparing a plan for the adornment of the Miami River Bank north of the new High and Main Street bridge and on the east bank of the river.

The plan calls for the beautification of the land as far north as Dayton street for two squares. The old Hamilton hydraulic will pass through the land proposed to be beautified, but this will be in part covered by a handsome bridge. A pergola is to be built at the north end of the park with a bandstand between it and the hydraulic bridges.

Attractive walks will lead from High Street and also from Monument Avenue into the park, and shrubbery, flowers and grasses will add to the decorative scheme. At the intersection of High Street and Monument Avenue, a wide attractive entrance will lead to the park, which is almost two acres in extent. It is designed to give the Hamilton public a spot for recreation. The tract was formerly used as a dump and has been an eyesore for many years.

According to Mr. Freudenberger, the park will be one of the most attractive small parks in the state.

Hamilton Evening Journal
February 1, 1916

Bluegrass show set for North End Park, September 13

VIDEO PREVIEW

Ma Crow and the Ladyslippers will headline Bluegrass at the Ball Fields, 1 to 8 p.m. September 13 at L.J. Smith Park in the North End.

Ma Crow and The Lady Slippers is an all-female band from Cincinnati and a 2013 Cincinnati Entertainment Award nominee featuring Bluegrass, Americana, and Old-time Mountain music.  The Lady Slippers include Ma Crow (vocals and guitar), Trina Emig (banjo and mandolin), Margie Drees (vocals and fiddle), and Vicki Abbott (vocals and bass). Each member brings decades of professional experience, creating a unique blend of superb instrumentation and vocals.

The Back Porch Hounds and The Pineridge Partners will also perform.

2015 0823 bluegrass

 

Dedication set for Five Fathers Memorial

The City of Hamilton and the Lindenwald PROTOCOL Group announce the dedication of the new Griesmer Park “Five Fathers Memorial.”

2015 0610 fathers 02
Henry S. George

The dedication ceremony will start at 11:00 AM on Saturday, June 20, at Griesmer Park located at the corner of River Road and St. Clair Ave in Lindenwald.

The “Five Fathers Memorial” honors five Lindenwald fathers who built a complete baseball park from an overgrown field so the neighborhood children could have a place to learn and play the game of baseball in the mid 1950’s.

Edward F. Tobergte
Edward F. Tobergte

The families of James J. Gentile, Henry S. George, Nicholas R. Hensler Sr.,  Arthur “Bud” Mahon and Henry S. George and Edward F. Tobergte worked with Frank Downie and PROTOCOL to finance the Memorial as phase one of a three-phase plan for Griesmer Park.

All are welcome. Ball Park hot dogs will be served.

2015 0610 fathers 04
James Gentile
2015 0610 fathers 05
Bud Mahon
2015 0610 fathers
Nicholas R. Hensler Sr.

 

tshirtbanner
HEY! Hamilton! Shop

Dedication of Parks Conservancy Mural

Download this episode (right click and save)

The mural outside the Hamilton Parks Conservancy office on North Second Street, across from the YMCA, comes from the Art Strategy Committee, a collaboration that is moving the City’s Strategic Plan forward to make our city a better place to Live, Work and Play.

Artists on the project include Taylor Welch (Community Design Alliance), Jenn Acus-Smith (Fitton Center for Creative Arts), Brianne Thyen ( Miami University Hamilton student) and Stephen Smith (InsideOut Studio). It took them less than a week of painting to complete the mural.

Here are some photos of the work in progress, courtesy Stephen Smith, Jenn Acus-Smith, Brianne Live Thyen,  Carrie Mancuso and Ian MacKenzie Thurley:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


 

2015 rivers edge promo


 

 

Hamilton’s Newest Work of Public Art (Updated)

Hamilton’s newest work of public art is now finished and a dedication is set for 5 p.m. Tuesday.

CLICK HERE for more information on the dedication…

The mural outside the Hamilton Parks Conservancy office on North Second Street, across from the YMCA, comes from the Art Strategy Committee, a collaboration that is moving the City’s Strategic Plan forward to make our city a better place to Live, Work and Play.

Artists on the project include Taylor Welch (Community Design Alliance), Jenn Acus-Smith (Fitton Center for Creative Arts), Brianne Thyen ( Miami University Hamilton student) and Stephen Smith (InsideOut Studio). It took them less than a week of painting to complete the mural.

Here are some photos of the work in progress, courtesy Stephen Smith, Jenn Acus-Smith, Brianne Live Thyen,  Carrie Mancuso and Ian MacKenzie Thurley:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


 

2015 rivers edge promo


 

 

Hamilton Parks Conservancy Opens New Office

Earlier this year, an independent non-profit Parks Conservancy was created to operate and maintain the City of Hamilton’s park system. Previously, all parks related operations were conducted by the City of Hamilton’s Parks and Recreation Division operating within the Public Works Department.

On March 20, the Hamilton Parks Conservancy moved into their new office located at 106 North Second Street, under the McDulin Parking Garage and across the street from the downtown YMCA.

According to City Manager Joshua Smith, the new office location was selected because, “We wanted the Parks Conservancy to have a presence downtown, in close proximity to City Hall, and make it easier for customers to conduct walk-in business.”

The conservancy is tasked with the creation, implementation and maintenance of every aspect of parks operations, including the renovation and beautification of over 1200 acres of park property.

The Parks Conservancy hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Individuals who have questions and/or comments about the parks or desire to rent Colligan Lodge or any other park shelter should call the Hamilton Parks Conservancy office at 513-785-7055.